Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Shapes of Medium

After our session this morning we were asked to find a website and use the mediums that we learned this morning and compare them to a website of our choice. The website that I decided to use is new.bbc and picked an article that I am formular with and sorta out of the ord. A lot of you who are willing to take the time to read it I hope you enjoy. The article is about an event in Glouscestershire, the town over where I will be stayin in England next year, called cheese rolling. I almost had the honor of witnessesing this event last summer but ended up missing it because my group came home about two or three days before the event so hopefully I will be able to go next year.
  • Cheese Rolling


  • Shapers of Medium
    - Technology Constraints and Possibilities
    - Institutional Practices (tells you what you should do how long a movie should be)
    - Cultural Circulation

    The constraints of the article to me would eb the fact that you can't put everything up on the web or tell about people's personal experience which I feel is important. Even though I know an over view of what the article is about I would also like to have personal experience and to eventually one day witness the actual event.

    The institualtional Practices would be the event itself and the rules that the "players" have to follow such as running after the cheese and the winner is allowed to keeep a cheese as their prize.

    Cultural Circulation, hum this is an interesting one, because I'm guessing none of you have ever heard of cheese-rolling and may find it rather odd. So the Cultural in England is different then in America so I feel that that plays a part in the cultual circulation. I'm sure people here would look at you funny if you roll a large cheese down a hill and start running after it. They might think that you are on drugs or intoxicated by other substances. However, in England this is a major event and draws people in from all over. They actually weren't able to hold the event about 3 years ago because of the earthquake in Turkey because they call upon many of the medics to come to the event because believe it or not several people have died from getting hit with the large cheese. Try picturing that headline...Woman killed by 7 ft cheese rolling at so many mph.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home